Friday, April 11, 2014

Speaking Of Cover Art Stuff...

Last week I decided to try out an idea that had been mulling around in my pretty head for a couple of months.

For a while now I've been making those 3D boxed set covers, and getting a bit of a name for myself doing so. But I had been pondering doing a little bit more. Taking it a step further. Upping the ante, as it were.

With the boxed sets as they have been, there's often a reasonable amount of "dead space" on them. Especially when you get one that has 8 or more spines to incorporate. In order to fit it in the normal 2:3 ratio (width:height), you inevitably end up with white stuff up the wazoo. So to speak.

I'd resigned myself to that being just one of those unavoidable facts, as was the case with this cover, for example.



But then I figured that maybe it's NOT unavoidable. Why, indeed, could we not get a little creative with all that space?

So when one of my regular clients, Jason Halstead, asked for a 3D boxed set for his "Wanted" series, I thought it was the perfect way to test out my idea. And this is that idea made real.


This was the first one I made. There's a second one coming out soon (possibly even already out) which uses a slightly different realisation of the same concept.

Now, it wouldn't work for every single boxed set out there. Off the top of my head I imagine that sci-fi, fantasy and paranormal would be the most appropriate genres for this kind of thing, though on a case-by-case basis, who knows?

One thing's for sure, though—I'm excited! I think there's quite some potential here for all kinds of fun shenanigans! Keep your eyes peeled!

No comments:

Post a Comment